The contrasts are palpable in these chapters (1 Sam 9-12) between the condemnation of the Israelite desire for a king and the way events march forward toward that end, including actions of God.
The reader might well ask, if God did not want Israel to have a human king (8:7), why did He not judge them for the choice, as He had for so many other things in which they rejected Him? We've seen so many instances of immediate judgment, especially in the wilderness wanderings under Moses, that the story deliberately provokes the question.
And yet it is the covenant itself that hints that God is capable of enacting His will among long periods of unfaithfulness on the nation's part (Dt 29; but not to forget Dt 30!). Here the scenario is eerily the same as in the desert, when God gives them what they wanted, when they didn't want the manna, but they were "greedy" (Nm 11:34).
Is then this turn of events something that is a permanent albatross that will take Israel out of the plan forever? If we've been reading along, we know better. If we read ahead, we know better. Is there not a resolution coming in 2 Sam 7? Let's elaborate then!
In the meantime, the narrative has its very characteristic ways of containing the situation. One is high mockery (10:22). The second is subtle mockery: Samuel tells Saul, way before Saul has a clue what's going on, "for whom is all that is desirable in Israel? Is it not for you and for all your father's household" (9:20)? And Saul's answer is basically, "huh?"
And God is not without His own celestial "sounds" during the outplay of all this (12:17-18).
Samuel's summary well expresses the tension: "You have committed all this evil, yet do not turn aside...." (12:20) ... "for the Lord will not abandon His people on account of His great name, because the Lord has been pleased to make you a people for Himself." (12:22). The covenant is still intact. Go figure.
- New Year: 2 Sam 7-9 for Mar 31
- New Year: 2 Sam 3-6 for Mar 30
- New Year: 1 Sam 31; 2 Sam 1-2 for Mar 29
- New Year: 1 Sam 27-30 for Mar 28
- New Year: 1 Sam 24-26 for Mar 27
- New Year: 1 Sam 21-23 for Mar 26
- New Year: 1 Sam 18-20 for Mar 25
- New Year: 1 Sam 16-17 for Mar 24
- New Year: 1 Sam 13-15 for Mar 23
- New Year: 1 Sam 9-12 for Mar 22
- New Year: 1 Sam 5-8 for Mar 21
- New Year: 1 Sam 2-4 for Mar 20
- New Year: Ru 4; 1 Sam 1 for Mar 19
- New Year: Ruth 1-3 for Mar 18
- New Year: Jdg 18-21 for Mar 17
- New Year: Jdg 15-17 for Mar 16
- New Year: Jdg 12-14 for Mar 15
- New Year: Jdg 9-11 for Mar 14
- New Year: Jdg 6-8 for Mar 13
- New Year: Jdg 4-5 for Mar 12
- New Year: Jdg 1-3 for Mar 11
- New Year: Josh 21-24 for Mar 10
- New Year: Josh 18-20 for Mar 9
- New Year: Josh 15-17 for Mar 8
- New Year: Josh 12-14 for Mar 7
- New Year: Josh 9-11 for Mar 6
- New Year: Josh 6-8 for Mar 5
- New Year: Josh 3-5 for Mar 4
- New Year: Dt 34; Josh 1-2 for Mar 3
- New Year: Dt 31-33 for Mar 2
- New Year: Dt 28-30 for Mar 1
- ▼ March (31)
- ► 2006 (24)