What we had forebodings about back at 1 Samuel 8:7 about Israel's rejection of God as king over them, turns out one way (15:26) rather than another (13:13) for Saul.
Saul was responsible, not for the Israelite choice of having a kingship, but for other specific choices as king: in 13:9, his impatience toward Samuel was not just about disregard of Samuel's priestly role in matters of the guidance of a theocratic state during war (13:9; cf. 10:8), but about God Himself's guiding role. Kingship -- being at "top" -- still has the obligation attached to it, concerning God: to be a "man after His own heart" (13:14).
The theme of God appointing things way before they actually transpire continues, in 13:14. Indeed, these chapters vindicate that idea, in showing how Saul's character shows itself. If we castigate Samuel for over-reacting in 13:13, we see Saul's autocracy playing itself so large in 14:43-44 that the whole nation rejects it.
The portrayal of Saul is a complex portrayal: what is his attempt to use the ark in 14:18-19? What is his attempt to counsel the people in 14:34? The altar in 14:35? His following the priest's advice in 14:36? We already are pre-informed by Samuel that Saul's kingship will not continue. But Saul's story is not over yet, for many chapters. Here, these choices on Saul's part are contributory.
The narrative is giving us the events in which his choices work themselves out. They seem strangely worked out, almost star-crossed: Saul is trying to found out a sin (14:38), because God doesn't answer him (14:37). So he uses a lot to determine it, and Saul vows to kill the sinner, whoever it is, and when the lot (correctly) finds a sin in Jonathan -- unknowing (14:27) disobedience to a battle order -- Saul is stuck by the requirement of his vow, the people rescue Jonathan, by a ransom.
Yet all is not bleak for Saul (14:48). It is a complex portrayal.
- New Year: 2 Sam 7-9 for Mar 31
- New Year: 2 Sam 3-6 for Mar 30
- New Year: 1 Sam 31; 2 Sam 1-2 for Mar 29
- New Year: 1 Sam 27-30 for Mar 28
- New Year: 1 Sam 24-26 for Mar 27
- New Year: 1 Sam 21-23 for Mar 26
- New Year: 1 Sam 18-20 for Mar 25
- New Year: 1 Sam 16-17 for Mar 24
- New Year: 1 Sam 13-15 for Mar 23
- New Year: 1 Sam 9-12 for Mar 22
- New Year: 1 Sam 5-8 for Mar 21
- New Year: 1 Sam 2-4 for Mar 20
- New Year: Ru 4; 1 Sam 1 for Mar 19
- New Year: Ruth 1-3 for Mar 18
- New Year: Jdg 18-21 for Mar 17
- New Year: Jdg 15-17 for Mar 16
- New Year: Jdg 12-14 for Mar 15
- New Year: Jdg 9-11 for Mar 14
- New Year: Jdg 6-8 for Mar 13
- New Year: Jdg 4-5 for Mar 12
- New Year: Jdg 1-3 for Mar 11
- New Year: Josh 21-24 for Mar 10
- New Year: Josh 18-20 for Mar 9
- New Year: Josh 15-17 for Mar 8
- New Year: Josh 12-14 for Mar 7
- New Year: Josh 9-11 for Mar 6
- New Year: Josh 6-8 for Mar 5
- New Year: Josh 3-5 for Mar 4
- New Year: Dt 34; Josh 1-2 for Mar 3
- New Year: Dt 31-33 for Mar 2
- New Year: Dt 28-30 for Mar 1
- ▼ March (31)
- ► 2006 (24)