When the results are not forthcoming for Moses in Ex 6:9, we can't say that he didn't anticipate the difficulty in the attempt (4:1), and express himself freely to God about the difficulty.
God Himself predicted this; He also furnished helps for Moses: a) signs (4:2-9). The first problem is that the signs fail to convince Moses to use the signs, or do anything (4:13). God accomodates Moses by bringing in b) Moses' older brother's help. There is some irony in the use of this accomodation, since Moses becomes convinced by the promise of a family member's help, after the help of miracles does not do it. After a direct promise does not do it (4:12).
There is another implied miracle in the narrative. Moses is still in Midian. Aaron is back in Egypt. God tells Moses three things about Aaron. First, that Aaron is a good speaker. Second, "behold, he is coming out to meet you." Moses hadn't even gotten on-board with this yet, and Aaron is coming toward Midian (4:19)! Thirdly, something that is just slipped in almost under the radar: Aaron, God says, "when he sees you, he will be glad in his heart" (4:14). So Moses finally gets off the schneid.
That could have been the problem all along. God Himself may appear to you! God Himself may promise you! God Himself may give you signs that would convince Bertrand Russell! But if those you love have rejected you, as far as you know, you may not get going.
God may be merciful to you and get you going, yet He will also teach you the pre-eminence of Himself -- watch for Him to (4:24-26)! -- along the way.
- New Year: Lev 7-9 for Jan 31
- New Year: Lev 4-6 for Jan 30
- New Year: Lev 1-3 for Jan 29
- New Year: Ex 38-40 for Jan 28
- New Year: Ex 35-37 for Jan 27
- New Year: Ex 32-34 for Jan 26
- New Year: Ex 29-31 for Jan 25
- New Year: Ex 26-28 for Jan 24
- New Year: Ex 23-25 for Jan 23
- New Year: Ex 19-22 for Jan 22
- New Year: Ex 16-18 for Jan 21
- New Year: Ex 13-15 for Jan 20
- New Year: Ex 10-12 for Jan 19
- New Year: Ex 7-9 for Jan 18
- New Year: Ex 4-6 for Jan 17
- New Year: Ex 1-3 for Jan 16
- New Year: Gen 48-50 for Jan 15
- New Year: Gen 44-47 for Jan 14
- New Year: Gen 41-43 for Jan 13
- New Year: Gen 38-40 for Jan 12
- New Year: Gen 35-37 for Jan 11
- New Year: Gen 32-34 for Jan 10
- New Year: Gen 29-31 for Jan 9
- New Year: Gen 25-28 for Jan 8
- New Year: Gen 22-24 for Jan 7
- New Year: Gen 18-21 for Jan 6
- New Year: Gen 15-17 for Jan 5
- New Year: Gen 11-14 for Jan 4
- New Year: Gen 8-10 for Jan 3
- New Year: Gen 4-7 for Jan 2
- New Year: Gen 1-3 for Jan 1
- ▼ January (31)
- ► 2006 (24)