These chapters (Numbers 21-23) are mostly descriptive of the relationship of the Israelites to the surrounding kingdoms. The Godward aspect is still a problem (21:5-6), but there are some changes there as well (21:7-9).
It is often said that an ounce of success is weightier than a pound of self-absorption. The narrative here begins with this kind of success, versus an external foe, and the Israelites in these chapters after the death of Aaron and Miriam gain back the sense of direction that we have not seen since the Exodus.
The story of Balak begins in Nm 22, and it is high mockery of the practice of "divination" (22:7). Balak, king of Moab, considers divination as one of the tools by which he as king can accomplish his will, using one of its resources available for hire (he thinks), the curse (22:6).
The reader is treated to quite a humorous story. Balak sees everything in economic terms. Whatever Balaam says about God, etc., Balak thinks is an excuse for what's really going on, the demand for a higher fee (22:16,17). But not only does God determine what Balaam says about Israel, but God interacts with Balaam personally, making him a real prophet for the duration of this event. Not only that, but he sees to it that Balaam does it despite himself (23:25-26).
What about the donkey? This is so integrated with the point of the story, the purpose of showing that God's management of Israel's destiny is as far above man's strategies, as heaven above earth, that it verifies not only the genuineness of God's ways, His sovereignty, the silliness of man's attempts to thwart Him, but it verifies itself in the process.
- ► 2017 (59)
- New Year: Dt 25-27 for Feb 28
- New Year: Dt 22-24 for Feb 27
- New Year: Dt 19-21 for Feb 26
- New Year: Dt 16-18 for Feb 25
- New Year: Dt 13-15 for Feb 24
- New Year: Dt 10-12 for Feb 23
- New Year: Dt 7-9 for Feb 22
- New Year: Dt 4-6 for Feb 21
- New Year: Dt 1-3 for Feb 20
- New Year: Nm 34-36 for Feb 19
- New Year: Nm 31-33 for Feb 18
- New Year: Nm 28-30 for Feb 17
- New Year: Nm 24-27 for Feb 16
- New Year: Nm 21-23 for Feb 15
- New Year: Nm 17-20 for Feb 14
- New Year: Nm 15-16 for Feb 13
- New Year: Nm 13-14 for Feb 12
- New Year: Nm 10-12 for Feb 11
- New Year: Nm 7-9 for Feb 10
- New Year: Nm 5-6 for Feb 9
- New Year: Nm 3-4 for Feb 8
- New Year: Lv 27; Nm 1-2 for Feb 7
- New Year: Lev 25-26 for Feb 6
- New Year: Lev 23-24 for Feb 5
- New Year: Lev 20-22 for Feb 4
- New Year: Lev 16-19 for Feb 3
- New Year: Lev 13-15 for Feb 2
- New Year: Lev 10-12 for Feb 1
- ▼ February (28)
- ► 2006 (24)