Friday, November 20, 2009

Heb 13

13:2. "Let love of the brethren continue." There are days when I plead for this for my own sake, to continue. 1 Cor 12 has that great section giving advice to two groups: to the first, it says (12:21), "the eye cannot say to the hand, 'I have no need of you.'" To the second, Paul says "if the foot should say, 'because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,' that would not make it any less a part of the body." (12:14). It is especially sad when they -- er, we -- er, I -- mess up.

The passages that are listed to go together in the reading (Ez 33-34, Heb 13, Ps 115, Pr 27:21-22) all are pretty big in importance.

Ez 34 contains one of the great themes of the Bible -- man (people) messing up, so God taking it on Himself, encouraging us to plan on Him getting us going again, by doing it Himself. In Hebrews I mentioned only one small thing that's hitting me. Who can forget the rest of the chapter? It is this chapter that makes people think "Sure sounds like Paul to me."

The Psalm (115) has that great contrast between do-nothing idols (115:4ff) and God, the Doer (115:3).

Even the Proverbs! One of them makes me remember not to test people too much, and another, not to be a fool, but to accept correcting comments from people.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive